Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Atheism: frequently unanswered questions

Let me start off by saying that my intent here is not to proselytize but to give a better understanding of atheists and our values. I'm not here to tell you that your beliefs are wrong, or that atheists are somehow more correct in our thinking. What I do want to make a point of is that every time I tell someone I'm an atheist, I get pelted with questions.
"Why are you an atheist?" "Did your parents not take you to church?" "What do you think happens when you die?"
And, of course, my favorite: "where do you get your morals?"
I intend to answer some of these.....
...Atheism is similar to Christianity in one way: there are tons of sects and nobody can seem to agree on the "right" way to go about things. The spectrum goes from militant atheism all the way to secular humanism.
Atheists who prefer to be moral and decent would call themselves Secular Humanists. We are good for goodness sake and don't follow any code. Think of it as a common good that lies in nature. We are all born grasping, hungry and selfish. Nobody is born with morality.
Gateway
University of Nebraska, Omaha, Omaha, NE

No comments:

Post a Comment